Saturday, August 19, 2006

bilk & shirk

Here's a pair of suggested words that are not inappropriately paired. Both denoted acts are irresponsible and misanthropic. Neither will make one many friends, as both are inconsiderate and self-serving. Depending on one's outlook on life, however, most would distinctly prefer to have one or the other act attributed to them. To bilk, after all, is to quite intentionally cheat someone out of what is rightfully theirs. It is the more hostile act; surely most of us would rather have the more harmless "shirk" applied to our activities? Perhaps not - to shirk is to allow one's duties to go undone, or to leave them for another to do. It is to be lazy, and is not a strong work ethic often a more widely lauded virtue than the more abstract notion of rightful possession? It depends, I suppose, on where one's priorities lie. To bilk or to shirk? That is the question. Although I suppose the unmentioned "neither" would be the optimal answer.

By doing a combined post this weekend, I've shirked my post-a-day responsibilities and bilked you and your post-a-day expectancies. The words discussed in this inconsiderate and self-serving post were recommended by marty from The Sensation Inside.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Hey, Thanks for using my suggested words! I know they have a 'negative' meaning associated with them; I just think they're funny words to say. My interest in those words started when a co-worker randomly came up to me and said, "You know what's a great word? Bilk." And since we work around some l-a-z-y people, I added 'shirk' as a 'cool word we love.'
Thanks for the shout-out!

;)

August 20, 2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Seskel said...

Just because they're negative doesn't mean you can't like them. I like the word "gerrymander."

August 20, 2006 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home