Tuesday, August 15, 2006

pacific

Yes, it's an ocean, of course. As most of us know, the word also means peaceful and tranquil. Those who, like me, find the latter meaning more pleasing for its lack of a tether to anything corporeal, may feel the word suffers from the former. To tie a concept to an object, after all, may be to impose unfair boundaries upon it. But "pacific" seems to overcome this, as the object to which it has become tied hardly imposes boundaries at all. It endows the abstract meaning with a sense of grandeur and majesty that fits the original definition, amplifying and expanding it, giving it a sense of permanence, which in turn deepens the very connotation of tranquility with a sense of certainty.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

I feel kind of pacific right now. ;)

More words for you:

"Deceive, Inveigle, Obfuscate."

(That's from The X Files, 'Teliko.'
Come to think of it, what does 'Teliko' mean? haha)

:)

August 15, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

I've only seen the Pacific once, and "tranquil" wasn't the word that came to mind. Filled with decomposing seaweed was more like it. Blech.
But a great post -- I'll bet lots of people don't realize that "pacific" is more than an ocean!
Of course, in my own mind, I think of the people who say "pacific" when they mean "specific". I had a supervisor once who would constantly say "pacifically" when she meant "specifically" --- it was all I could do not to pacifically kill her.

August 15, 2006 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home