Saturday, August 05, 2006

disabuse

Here's a great word for being condescending to a friend or anyone you think is misinformed, misguided or otherwise just plain wrong. To tell someone that you will enlighten them, or explain where they've been mixed up is one thing, but to use the word "disabuse" is almost to suggest that they are a child who doesn't know any better. It is seldom used by someone who sees their illusioned acquaintance as an equal. It's excessively patronizing. As in, "Give Mommy that misconception before you hurt yourself with it!" I don't know quite how "disabuse" came to mean what it does, given the standard definitions of the root word. Perhaps there is some link to the apparently obsolete "To deceive or trick" definition of "abuse." (Found on dictionary.com)

2 Comments:

Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

This word reminds me of someone I knew in college, who thought he was intellectually superior to everyone else. He was very patronizing, and was one of those one-upmanship kind of jerks. Plus, he always had to have the last word about everything.
Now, I can disabuse his memory!

Okay, so I was stretching there in using disabuse in a sentence, but cut me some slack, I gave you a shout out on my site today!!! Hope this gets ya some regular readers that this site deserves!

August 05, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Seskel said...

That might be my first "shout-out" of any kind ever. Thanks!

August 05, 2006 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home