Monday, August 21, 2006

sphinx

The sphinx is a mythological figure with the body of a lion and the head of either a human, a ram, or a bird. Most people associate the word with the Great Sphinx of Giza in Egypt, but my personal favorite meaning is its use to describe an uncommonly cryptic or secretive person. The notion that there are those among us with as many secrets or as impenetrable a veneer as the ancient fabled creature is as appealing as it is sinister. In addition, the word itself seems quite the unlikely jumble of letters, but is so pleasing to pronounce, evoking similarly reticent words like "cipher." The mouth barely needs to open to let the word out; indeed the "S" sound at either end encourages a furtive and hurried pronunciation.

Last week's theme: All five of last week's words are found on the Monopoly board. The relevant spaces are Chance, Pacific Avenue, Electric Company, Water Works, and Community Chest. I really thought someone would guess it, I'm not sure why. I guess it's just too much easier when you already know the answer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

Double love your entry today:
One, because of the Sphinx, which by some coincidence (hmmm...) is my Extra Egypt post today. And two, because I had to hit my forehead and go D'Oh! when you spelled out Monopoly for me -- why I didn't see this is beyond me... great week's worth of words/clues! Thanks!

August 21, 2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

This reminds me of a great story from work! Two years ago my study hall class refused to do any work whatsover. Hence, when the asked me if they could have a Monopoly tourney instead of doing work, I readily agreed! They kicked my butt. ;)

I agree with you on the definition of sphinx. There is a sphinx in all of us...

August 22, 2006 7:01 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

A sphincter says what?

August 22, 2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Hey sphincter, I just blog rolled you. ;-)

August 22, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Doh! Fixed it. Word, to ya motha!

August 22, 2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home