Saturday, September 02, 2006

vociferous

Here's a word that describes loud and chaotic noise, or emitters thereof. "Clamor" is used by dictionary.com to define the word, and regrettably, I find myself unable to do much better. As is true of many words I've discussed, "vociferous" has a particularly appropriate pronunciation for its meaning. Its rhythmic iambs have a curiously accelerating manner of leaving the mouth, as though the word once begun cannot be aborted. Though the consonant sounds complement one another, they require rapid movement of teeth and lips that gives the listener a sense of the aural tumult the word denotes.

Apologetic sidenote: I never anticipated going so long without a post, and I'm certainly not happy about it. I've moved into an apartment where I've had some difficulty connecting to the internet. I promise to give you one entry for each day I missed, in addition to one for each day as it passes. (This post was begun on September 2nd, hence the date.) I know the annoyance of finding that a regularly-visited website has not been updated for weeks; the twinge of stagnation grows each time that last post meets the eyes. My apologies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

Ohmigosh!
I am VOCIFEROUS in my happiness in seeing you again online!
Welcome back to the blogosphere, my friend!

September 26, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Seskel said...

Thanks!!! I generally don't mind being away from the internet for a week or two, but knowing that my blog was sitting unupdated was really bothering me.

September 27, 2006 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home