Saturday, August 26, 2006

eleemosynary

Herein lies a problem with this blog; I like to post about the general connotations and implications of words beyond the dictionary definitions, but I also hope to expand my vocabulary with new words. So when I encounter such a new word, like today's, I find myself unable to include much connotation because I haven't heard or used the word ever in my life. But I won't let that stop me; it's such a cool word. I've been saying it all day. (el-uh-mos-uh-ner-ee, says dictionary.com) The general definition is "of charity," be it applied to some facet of charity itself, the lifestyle of those who depend upon it, or institutions that count on its support. Though I do like the sound of the word, it's a bit stuffy for the subject matter, I think. It bears the tone of a high-minded attempt to distance one's self from the distressing problem of widespread mendicancy.

2 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

It is a cool word, and don't stop because now we all learn a new word. ;)

August 27, 2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

There is a play titled, "Eleemosynary". It's about a girl in a spelling bee and her relationship with her mother and some other female in her life...I can't remember...it's by Lee Blessing. The girl in the play has to spell that word in the Bee. It was a good play.

September 01, 2006 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home